After due consideration, Ara has decided that the APA Referencing Guide (6th edition) will continue to be used until the end of 2020. This decision was reached following discussions with the Manager of Research and Knowledge Transfer, and staff from Ara Whakapiki Ako Centre for Educational Advancement and Learning Services.
Rationale for continued use of the Ara APA Referencing Guide (6th edition) in 2020
- It will minimise the impact on students and tutors
- It will allow time for APA training materials to be created
- Referencing software such as Microsoft Word, OneNote and Noodle Tools Express have not yet been updated to the APA 7th edition
- APA itself has recommended the implementation of the 7th edition in Spring 2020 in the United States
- Other institutions such as Lincoln University have deferred the use of the 7th edition to the start of 2021 for similar reasons
Some changes to the Ara APA Referencing Guide (6th edition)
- It will contain updated examples of references and citations
- It will re-emphasise that page numbers and paragraph numbers need not accompany in-text citations when information is paraphrased or summarised
No need to purchase the updated Ara APA Referencing Guide (6th edition)
Students need NOT purchase the updated Ara APA Referencing Guide, because the guide used in 2019 is still relevant and useful.
From Monday the 3rd of February, the APA Guide 2020 will be:
- accessible via the Learning Resources tab in MyAra.
- available for short-term loan or purchase from the Service Desk in the Madras and Timaru campus libraries.
Start date to use the APA 7th edition
The official start date to use the APA 7th edition will be on 1st January 2021. The Ara APA Referencing Guide (7th edition) will be available in both hardcopy and online versions. All other Ara APA materials such as updated handouts will be ready for use.
Advance information on APA referencing (7th edition)
In mid-2020, information on APA referencing (7th edition) will be made available to staff and students. This provision will allow sufficient time for everyone to become familiar with the requirements of the new edition.
Manager, Learning Services