By Georgie Archibald, Learning Advisor Pasifika
Talofa Lava! Samoan Language Week / Vaiaso o le Gagana Sāmoa is being celebrated across New Zealand from Sunday 27 May – Saturday 2 June 2018. The Samoan language is the third most commonly spoken language in New Zealand, and the theme for this year is: “Alofa atu nei. Alofa mai taeao – Kindness given. Kindness gained.” You are encouraged to consider – what do the values of kindness and reciprocity mean for you? If you’re interested in learning about Samoan language and culture, the library has a number of great resources that can be found using the Pasifika subject guide. You may also like to connect in with the Pacific Island Students of Ara and/or keep up to date with their events.
Events at Ara
And you definitely don’t want to miss out on the fantastic events occurring across the Ara campuses celebrating Vaiaso o le Gagana Sāmoa!
- Ara Ava Ceremony – Monday 28 May, 12noon, Christchurch City campus, North Green or Rakaia Centre atrium dependent on weather
- Ula lole (lollie necklace) workshop – Tuesday 29 May, 12noon, Christchurch City campus, library
- Ula lole (lollie necklace) workshop – Tuesday 29 May, 12noon, Timaru campus, student cafe
- Samoan cultural performances and ula lole (lollie necklace) workshop – Wednesday 20 June, 12noon, Woolston campus, SSD hub
- Pasifika social volleyball – Wednesday 30 May, 12noon, Christchurch City campus, gym
E iloa ‘oe i lau gagana – Your language speaks volume of you.